About Me

My photo
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I lived on the banks of a river . . . and it captured my attention. These are my observations about the parallels between my life...and the river.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Spec-TAC-ular

That word describes my weekend! Spec-TAC-ular. I went out of town to visit friends and had such a wonderful time! Met a new friend too. :) And that was truly a pleasure.

There is something about a weekend away with friends that is so relaxing. You're not in your own home, so you're not seeing the laundry, dishes, or other random things that "need" to be done! You can just chill. And there's usually the opportunity to see new things and explore a different place!

Which is what we did. A night on the town! Walked all over, saw some historic things, enjoyed some good food, watched the people around us . . .

Oh, and sat by the water! Yup. I love water. This was a much larger body of water than the river -- we sat on the edge of the harbor with our feet dangling, the moonlight and city lights reflecting on the surface. Watched boats coming in and out, dreamed of yachts and moonlight dance cruises.

Fun conversation, catching up with an old friend, getting to know a new one, finding you have much in common! Now that makes for a great weekend. Actually, that's where the term "spectacular" fits. :)

Another thing -- I am all for modernization, convenience, technology, all the stuff that makes our lives so cushy. I am grateful for it! But there are some things from a simpler time that I also love. Cobblestone streets, for one. So beautiful. So unique. Creating a whole different set of sounds that our ears aren't used to hearing. Forcing us to slow down a little (who can walk fast on cobblestones?!), to engage our senses, to appreciate the present. Don't rush so quickly into the next moment, enjoy the one you have right now!

A visit to an old town with cobblestone streets and many historical places is just what I needed. And the visit with friends, and the making of a new one was certainly icing on the cake!

Early tomorrow morning I will be back at the river. But with new experiences on my mind, and much to be happy about! The river is always changing. Floods come, but then the waters recede again. The same is true with life. Hard times come, bad things happen. But eventually life goes on, and you once again experience good, happier times. A different person for sure. The tough times affect us. Some of those scars are with us to our graves. But they don't have to define us, and they CERTAINLY don't have to keep us from ever being happy again!

A toast . . . to friends -- both new, and old.
To cobblestone streets and good conversation.
To embracing each moment with arms flung wide!
To life!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Your a great writter...