About Me

My photo
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I lived on the banks of a river . . . and it captured my attention. These are my observations about the parallels between my life...and the river.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Currents of Change

It's been a while since I've written anything -- almost a week! Guess I ran out of thoughtful things to say. Or maybe it's just that the week was so full that I couldn't stop to reflect.

As I look back now, on the cusp of another whirlwind week, I'm remembering a few things that happened that deserve some reflection. Good news first! I was working with one of our consultants this past week and he had some really good feedback about my work since the transition into my new position. Not only did he share this good feedback with me, but also with my boss. Always nice.

This weekend my sister came to visit me. We had a wonderful time, hanging out, doing some things that we've had as special sister traditions for years! Things we don't get to do now that we don't live in the same city. I also had the pleasure of introducing her to some new-to-her indulgences! Real gelato and italian ice straight from the family owned italian shop/bakery right up the street from my place.

Of course, no visit is complete without a visit to the river! We walked down around sunset and enjoyed the neighborhood, then the peace and tranquility of the riverbanks.

Well, tranquil until the mosquitoes and black flies crashed our peaceful party! But by then it was time to head back anyway.

On Saturday we went out to breakfast to another one of our favorite spots -- then I drafted her into helping me rearrange the furniture in my apartment! What fun that was! Amazingly enough, it worked out almost exactly as I had mapped it in my head. Change is good. As long as I'm in control of it, that is! :-)

In the process of rearranging, some things were released from their hiding places. Places they had been stashed out of sight. Most of the stuff will just be boxed and restashed in the basement, but a few things caught my attention and will remain nearby.

I came across a few old photo albums. One of them spans my later high school years. There are pictures of my friends, family, even a few of my dad! I was happy to see that. It was good to see pictures of him when he was healthy. Good memories.

But it was interesting to see myself through the years. Seeing the pictures brings back memories of who I was then -- things I was involved in, people I knew, places I went. Some of it seems like a different lifetime entirely! Some of it seems like a completely different person.

I saw pictures of friends that I haven't spoken to in years. I wouldn't even begin to know how to find them now. Amazing how life takes us on and people come and go from our lives.

Looking through those albums brought back so many memories, so much "stuff". Some of it so very pleasant, some of it absolutely miserable. There are times that I recall fondly, others that I don't even want to be reminded of.

Yet, even as I flip the pages quickly to avoid certain memories, I realize that I am thankful for all of it. I look at the person that I was then, and I look at who I am now, and I realize that I would not be who I am today if I had not experienced the things that shaped me. No, not always pleasant. Yes, some of it was detrimental.

But all of it together made me into who I am today. And I am pleased with who I am. I have goals of who I want to continue to become, and I have many shortcomings that I am well aware of. But as I reflect on the trip down memory lane, I have to say that regardless of how miserable it was then, I am a better person now for having learned each lesson, or experienced each situation.

Life is a journey, not a destination. Like the river, we are always changing, moving. The rocks, roots and crevices in its path shape it. You never step into the same river twice. I am thankful for the photo albums and the good news that my life IS like a river -- and not like a stagnant pond.

No comments: