About Me

My photo
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I lived on the banks of a river . . . and it captured my attention. These are my observations about the parallels between my life...and the river.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Funny thing . . .

I was in a meeting today at work and somehow the topic of discussion turned to change and seizing the moment. My boss started talking about the difference between a river and a pond -- when fishing in a pond, whatever you don't catch now will be there later. It's not going anywhere. But in a river, it's always changing, always moving on so you have to make the most of every opportunity because you can't come back tomorrow and find the same opportunity.

I thought it rather interesting that I was not the one to bring up the analogy of a river! And no, I did not start a deep discussion about life in the river.

But I did decide that there are times when I'd much prefer it to be "Life In The Pond". Less change, things are more stable, more secure. Everything's under control. No whitewater rapids, no scary, unexpected waterfalls or boulders. Just calm. Peaceful.

But then I thought a little more about the pond and realized that I HATE ponds, except to look at from a distance. Why? Because there's a lot of muck and yucky stuff in a pond! Stuff you don't find in a river. Where does that nasty stuff come from?

From being stagnant.

From not moving and not changing.

Ugh. I'm not a big fan of change, but I'd rather change than become stagnant, bacteria filled and mucky, that's for sure!! Ewww.

So for today at least, I'm OK with the scary parts. As long as I know I'll make it through to the other side. As long as I know that I won't have to go through them completely alone.

And I know these things are true -- I have God's word -- His promise -- that He will not ever leave me. That He has a plan to prosper me and not harm me. That there is hope for my future. Now, not always exactly the hope I might be hoping for!! No, God and I don't always see eye to eye on what is best for me.

But I trust Him. He's never let me down. I don't always understand, and sometimes I get really angry at what He allows to happen to me. But I can honestly say that He's brought me through everything so far and never left me. So I believe that I can continue to move ahead, knowing that whatever comes, He will still not leave me to go through it alone.

Reminds me of the words to one of my favorite hymns -- an oldie, but a goodie!

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

No comments: