About Me

My photo
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I lived on the banks of a river . . . and it captured my attention. These are my observations about the parallels between my life...and the river.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The River

The morning silence is cut by the sound of a speedboat. Prior to that, the only noise on the banks of the river was the birds singing and the occasional splash of a fish.

Most mornings this past week, the river’s surface has been smooth as glass. It almost seemed that the pressure from the intense humidity was pressing the water down flat.

Today the humidity has broken. The surface of the river is broken up by a million little ripples as the gentle breezes tease the water.

The sky is overcast but not gloomy.

The river mirrors my life in so many ways. Everything is quiet and beautiful, then something comes charging through and stirs things up.

Pressures try to conform me. People’s expectations. Even my own expectations. Sometimes that pressure is released and I am free to be the person God intended me to be.

Last night I started to read the book, Shattered Dreams, by Larry Crabb and I was so shaken up by the introduction alone.

The concept was this – what if God allows our dreams to be shattered so that we will seek the higher dream of experiencing Him and Him alone? Our dreams only reach as far as our knowledge. Sometimes not even that far. We can’t dream of that which we do not know.

I get so scared when things I hold dear are taken away. So many things are in a state of chaos in my life right now. My dreams, relationships, you name it, it’s undergoing change. And not the way I want to see it.

I guess the biggest question for me is, do I trust Him?

I don’t have an answer for that yet. But I want it to be yes!

1 comment: