About Me

My photo
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I lived on the banks of a river . . . and it captured my attention. These are my observations about the parallels between my life...and the river.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Not a typo

You may be looking at the name of this blog saying, "Shouldn't it be life ON the river?" Well, the answer is no. Yes, I did say in my profile that I live on a river, but life IN the river is a very different story.

Life ON the river speaks of sitting back in a lawn chair, sipping lemonade, watching things happen from a safe distance. You can talk about the whitewater rapids and the flooding, but you're safe. You don't have to experience it yourself.

Life IN the river is entirely different. You are relinquishing your safety and taking a risk! You are experiencing first hand the joys, trials and spontenaity of the river. Looking at it from a spiritual perspective, you might say, "Are you just going to observe or are you going to give it your all and dive in?!"

These first few posts are actually from my journal entries of the last week. I've been spending more and more time observing the river. Sitting on its banks, watching how it changes with the weather, observing the different aspects of life that are touched and changed by it. There are such clear parallels between the real-life river and the spiritual river that feeds my soul.

Our infinitely creative Creator designed certain cycles and processes that are the same year after year throughout nature. There are also parts of creation that are constantly changing from year to year. But it is the same with our lives. I find that it is so reassuring to see both the chaos and the order of my life reflected in nature. It helps to bring a little perspective to my often myopic vision.

So please join me for the journey! It gets lonely sometimes, I'd love the company. And as you experience the twists and turns of life, feel free to comment and share those with me and our fellow river dwellers.

No comments: